Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mommy Brain

Yes, you have heard of it - Mommy Brain.  It's a lot like Pregnancy Brain, which I never had, by the way.

Can you hear that noise?  That's my friends and family saying yelling, "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

Ok, ok, I will finally admit that I do have Mommy Brain.  This is a struggle for me...a real battle.  I am the type of gal that remembers everything, EVERY detail.  I can used to be able to recall the craziest random details, events and numbers from several years back.  That was just me...another nutty way my brain worked.

As mothers, we have to remember 2,345,572 different things a day.  As wives, that number probably doubles.  Then I add on all the things I have to remember and recall for my detail laden job...the number just continues to multiply.  I have to face it - my hard drive is full.

To prevent a crash, I have just given up on remembering every single detail.  Every little piece of information just isn't as important as it used to be.  I have discovered that I can let some things slip out of my memory, and it's really OK.  The world didn't stop moving if I forget something every now and then.

For all the stuff that falls into important categories, I have strategies to back up my database.  I have resorted to extensive note taking, lists, and reminder sticky notes.  For example, I try to bring Cracker Jack a snack and drink when I pick him up in the afternoon.  It has been a challenge to remember his goodie as I am running out of the office to pick him up on time.  So, here is my strategy...

Notes on my phone...


Reminders on my computer...


"Last ditch attempt to make me remember" notes on my keys...



I finally remember to grab Jack's snack the day I started this intervention.  There is one detail I forgot...Jer was picking the boys up that day...sigh...maybe it's time to reformat. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...